Summer Reckoning: 32 days remaining
Tomorrow we are heading down south to our hometown in GA for a few days. Visit with Minivan Dad’s family and attend a family reunion. On Sunday, we head to my mom and step-dad’s river house in north FL. I’m hoping Fay will have passed and we can hit the beach a few times while we are there. The Minivan kids are out of their minds excited and hopping around like Mexican jumping beans!
I’ve a riddle for you….what do you do when you are leaving tomorrow morning for a 5 night vacation, a mile-long To-Do list, a mountain of laundry and packing to do and you have this on your kitchen counter?
Why, procrastinate on the packing and laundry and bake of course!! I enjoy cooking with my kids, but it can often be overwhelming with all 3 hovering over me “helping”. Please tell me I’m not the only one cooking like this.
We made banana bread…
And banana muffins too!
Don’t you think the “overhang” is the best part?!! These muffins have plenty of it.
Mmmmm, I wish you could smell my house right now… Want some? We’ll share!… I think…on second thought, Minivan Dad can be a little territorial of his baked goods.
Here are my recipes if you’d like to try one of them. They really are GOOD! I’ll put some in the freezer (they defrost tasting just as fresh I promise!!) and some will travel south with us to share with family.
Yields 1 9×5 loaf (however, my family is a little piggish so I typically triple the recipe to make 3 loaves)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups mashed very overripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease 9 x 5 loaf pan (or use Pam flour spray – much easier and less messy!!)
- In large bowl, combine flour, soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Stir in eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended.
- Gently stir banana mixture into flour mixture. Just until mixed. Do NOT overmix!!
- Pour batter into greased and floured loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (or more if you like…I normally do!)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In big bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients together.
- Mix bananas, sugar, egg and butter.
- Stir into dry mixture just until wet. Again, do not overmix!
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full (I like to use an ice cream scoop so the amounts are fairly even)
- Combine first 3 topping ingredients.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. (use a pastry cutter if you have one, if not, a fork works too!)
- Sprinkle evenly over muffins.
- Bake at 375° for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean)
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes and turn out on rack to cool
Now, I was out of butter by the time I got to making the muffins. I hate running out of butter!! So instead of using 2/3c butter (remember I doubled the recipe), I used 1/3c applesauce and 1/3c vegetable oil. And on the topping, I subbed the 2TBS butter for 2TBS of butter flavored Crisco… I know, healthy right? But, it all turned out just fine and tastes delicious!
By the way, do you hate to grease and flour pans? I do. It takes too long and makes too much of a mess…and besides, I’m kinda lazy on occasion. So this is what I use. And if you haven’t discovered this spray, by all means, get some!!! Works like a charm and doesn’t make a mess. Doesn’t matter what brand you buy, they all seem to work just fine.
And now look what I’ve added to my To Do list for today!! I’m a messy cook.
I plan on trying to blog while I’m out of town, but am not sure if I’ll have internet access daily. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!